From a performance point of view I have been interested to read about and listen to what is being written and said about the youngest winner of the Mountain Bike World Cup in the late 1990s and the oldest winner of the Tour since 1922.
I noted in particular:
- Cadel’s early sport activities and choices.
- The recognition of his ability and talent in 1998.
- The support and belief of a small number of people in his ability.
- The lessons of resilience.
- The coming together of a supportive team.
- The role of a charismatic coach in Cadel’s flourishing.
It is fascinating (and exhilirating) how all these came together in 2011 and provide, I think, a great opportunity to explore the interaction between fitness for purpose, readiness to perform and the magic of success.
Cycling Central website front page (accessed 26 July)